Monday, October 8, 2007

Why Blog?

I'm an Astronomer (or at least I think I am) and a new Mum. Can this be done at the same time...? Well yes, I know of a lot of examples. Can I do it...? I'm not so sure... So I thought I would start a blog to keep a record of how things go this year with my new baby at the same time as I'm on the job market.

I was talking with a friend this weekend about how so many Moms in science have blogs. She was commenting how much of their blogs seems to be about not having enough time to do everything - so then the natural question comes up -- why blog?

For me, I don't want to be a statistic. If I'm going to be part of the leaky pipeline in science because of having had a baby as a postdoc then I want that recorded, and maybe my experience will help others. If I do manage some kind of balance, then I'd like that recorded too.

No comments: